Saturday, October 04, 2008

Firesux

There are times when I'm not too fond of Firefox3.

I'm not a power user, so the ability to do this, that, and the other with it doesn't cut a lot of ice with me. I do like the ability to use Greasemonkey, and through it, user-written scripts to do useful things, like make the posting window for Blogger to be the width of the screen, and not the measly 2/3s that Blogger native gives you, and I like the Playpus addon that lets me selectively delete annoying flashing images on a page while I'm reading it. This is goodness.

But shutting down is another story.

Multiple times, I've gone to shut Firefox down, and very soon thereafter gone to start it up again, and been informed that 'Firefox is still running'. About a third of those times, trying again results in it starting, and of the remainder about a third of the time it actually is running, as seen in Task Manager, and a third, it is not. I have no idea whats going on there. If I had to guess, I'd think that it's trying to do something before it shuts down -- write out files, probably -- and sometimes, it takes a while. But whatever the reason, its irritating to have to wait.

Course, its also - free. Got to remember that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is closing it's threads, some might hang a little bit before it shuts down properly. Nothing to worry about.

Cerulean Bill said...

Thanks. My guess was based on seeing other systems do that.