Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thinking and Baking

I was thinking about the election, this afternoon. I am apprehensive that something malign will skew the results. Whether its Al Qaeda issuing a warning not to elect McCain (thus driving the unthinking to his arms), or the Rethuglicans issuing nasty tricks (most Republicans don't fit that definition, but the ones at the top, the ones who light candles at the unholy Grotto of Rove, yes, very much so), or something else -- the results could be unpleasant. We could end up with McCain as President (which would not be worse than Bush, what joy) and Palin as Vice President, which thought literally causes the gorge to rise in my throat. Excuse me a moment.

How fucking STUPID can people BE?

I'm back. So, to distract myself, I thought I'd bake something, and here's the recipe I made. I found it here.

Danish pastry apple bars

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk
milk
1 cup cornflakes
8-10 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (8 cups)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Egg Wash:
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

Topping:
sifted powder sugar or whipped cream

Hardware
Large bowl
2 x small bowls
1-cup glass measuring cup
Pastry blender (optional)
15x10x1-inch baking pan
Rolling pin

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt.
Step 3: With a pastry blender or knife cut in small pieces of shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Step 4: Place egg yolk in 1-cup glass measuring cup; lightly beat with fork.
Step 5: Add enough milk to egg yolk to make 2/3 cup; mix well.
Step 6: Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture; mix well.
Step 7: Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface roll half of dough into an 18x12-inch rectangle.
Step 8: Place dough into bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
Step 9: Sprinkle with cornflakes.
Step 10: Top with apples.
Step 11: Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over apples.
Step 12: Roll remaining dough into a 16x12-inch rectangle. Arrange over apples. Seal top pastry to bottom pastry. Cut slits in top of pastry.
Step 13: In a small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush mixture over pastry.
Step 14: Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or cool. If desired top with powdered sugar or whip


I should note that I made a couple of changes -- mostly, I didn't use nearly as many apples as they suggested -- more like 2 0r 3 -- and even then, I got a thick, stuffed pastry. And, I used a smaller pan -- 9x12, not 10x18. I can only assume that the people who came up with this can roll dough way thinner than I can. Oh, and that combination of juice and sugar makes a hell of a sticky glaze, so next time I'm going to put it on greased aluminum foil -- this time, I had to nuke it to get the cooled pastry out of the tray!

No comments: